Wednesday, February 5, 2014

February 2014


A monthly newsletter
Celebrating the artistic endeavors
Sasha Wolfe Fine Art & photography

INTENT: To share stories and thoughts of being an artist or any creative passions; to initiate dialog to pursue what we experience through life and discuss some of the issues that we strive to overcome in personal and professional life. It’s an effort to strive to be a good person in life and follow the heart’s desire. Why do we do what we do? What drives us and how does that affect other aspects in our lives?


                   Date: February 5, 2014                                                                         Volume: 4

Greetings, Everyone,

As I sit writing this, we are getting a first major storm of the month. While the snow makes everything clean and fresh, I am disappointed to have it on a Wednesday. A small group of artists get together for breakfast on this midweek day and we really look forward to the camaraderie and great conversations.

These weekly breakfast dates have made me realize how important it is for like minded people to get together for a nice meal and connection. It’s especially true for artists who spend a lot of time in solitude doing their craft. There are some weeks when this is my only time out of the house and face to face contact with other human beings. Yes, we often “chat” through Facebook and e-mails, but spending time with others in person is also important.

What is most interesting about this group is that we are of different disciplines. There’s a potter, three of us do photography, a painter, one who does pastel drawings, and writers. Some of us do work in more than one medium. Once in awhile other artists join us. It’s a wonderful time to talk about what is being worked on, having show and tell, and sometimes we just discuss current life issues.

We are very supportive of one another and we most always come away being more inspired to get back to our art… whatever form our creativity takes.

Enjoy and Thank-YOU!

Self Esteem and Art

I am reading a biography on Anne Sexton and two weeks ago, I read one on Grace Metalious of Peyton Place fame. I am intrigued by biographies, especially those of artists. What these two women had in common, as with Sylvia Plath and many others, is that they were successful at their crafts and yet, in the end, they committed suicide. (Metalious drank herself to death.) Their plight and those of many others who followed dreams, stepped away from what was expected of them, and suffered the consequences of “being different” is an intriguing study.

There has often been a connection to insanity and artists; Van Gogh and T. S. Eliot to name a couple of men. (I personally think Picasso was a bit mad.) This subject particularly draws me in because there was a point in my life where I wanted to end it all. I’ve often felt a little crazy and I am often saying “if I didn’t write, I’d die or go crazy or worse.” Inside is a passion to follow something that sometimes can’t be described. It’s a burning yearning desire. Then there are the societal and family edicts that dictate one must work to support family, pay bills, put bread on the table, etc. There are those who believe that art is only a hobby.  Women especially have been regulated to specific roles and to break away often brought the wrath of community and those around her. Heaven forbid she not want to be a wife and mother. (Thankfully this is getting more acceptable.)

As I continue in my quest to define what that creative passion is and how it affects an artist, I am always drawn to the metaphor of fire. That “something inside” that defines a creative person is a flame that burns deep and it doesn’t matter what form the art takes whether visual art, the written word, or performing arts. That flame simmers and aches for release. The artist must keep the fires fed to be healthy.

Criticism and ridicule pour water on those fires. Pressures from society and family who don’t understand the artist dampen the flames. When the fires are not allowed to be clean, the flame turns to ashes and dust. I know my family always meant the best for me. They could not see that an artist would make a living from art. Messages get confusing. On the one hand, my beginnings were celebrated, but on the other hand, it was always stated that art could only ever be a hobby. I always felt I was being forced into being someone I wasn’t. Then again, I didn’t know any better at the time.

I don’t know if it was the deep down artist in me that made me “different” from my peers, but I grew up with few friends and felt outcast from most everyone near my age. I just didn’t like what other girls were doing and they did what most kids do to the ones who don’t fit in. It feels like my entire school years were spent with being called names and being left out. (There was that part of me that didn’t care.) I grew up feeling there was something wrong with me.

Adult relationships fed my lack of self esteem. I finally began to rebel at the roles I fell into and as the children grew older, I pushed to rediscover who I really was. It was creativity that gave me a ladder out of the deep darkness of despair. Words, poetry, writing gave voice to the fires in my soul and when released, I felt a blossoming. However, the many years of low self esteem had taken its toll.

I heard an interview with Delta Burke after the Golden Girls was hugely popular on television. Burke talked about her fears every time she went in front of the camera. It shocked me that celebrities struggle with self-doubt and then reading biographies, even after gaining fame and success as writers, artists, actors, people still suffer from self-doubt. I feel I am in darn good company.

Note: I didn’t intend to ramble on about my past, but every time I tried to change it and often by getting up and doing something else for a bit, I’d come back and those words would continue. Guess this means it wanted to be written.

News:

Extensive updates were made to my website in January. I still have many photos to upload myself. Pages were also made for purchasing photos, drawings, books, and hand knitted scarves. Check it out at www.sashawolfe.net.

Plans for this include a photo contest at the Library Arts Center in Newport on February 8. Also, I will be submitting four pieces to the Annual Spring Show at the Jaffrey Civic Center will run from February 21 through March 22. Opening reception will be Friday, February 21, 5 - 7 p.m.

I am back to working on my book Too Cold for Alligators about the trip I made last winter. The goal is to have it complete within the next four months.

Book Excerpt

On to Martinsburg, West Virginia

     Back on the highway, the speed limit fluctuates between 55 and 65. Away from the city and with lesser traffic, I try to look around. There are a lot of bare spots like trees have been cut or thinned. There is one big snow-covered hill with the bare trees sticking straight up like a bunch of plain poles on a white background. The only trees that appear to have branches are the ones along the top ridge. It looks really weird, like there’s something wrong. In other places the ground looks all dug up and messy. It makes me feel uncomfortable as if something terrible happened here. There are miles of this… ugliness. It’s disturbing and unnatural. I wonder if it has something to do with mining. It isn’t pretty. I can’t wait to get through this area.
     The highway climbs and the ugly scenery gives way to more openness. The road is cut into the side of the mountains. On one side is the rock rising so high I can’t see the top from inside the truck. I chance a look to the other side and the views drop way down; miles and miles across flat valleys and then up more mountains in the far distance. I can’t even guess at the distance; feet, yards, miles… hundreds? The road goes up and around a corner and a different vista is presented. Oh, to be able to stop, but there are no pull offs on this highway.
     Then it’s down, down, down. Traffic ebbs and flows. I keep looking at the thermometer in the truck waiting for the outside temperature to rise the further south I travel. It gets as low as 10 and as high as 20 degrees, but still very cold. Twenty miles before Harrisburg there isn’t any more snow and the scenery changes to farmland with rolling hills and beautiful, huge farms with gigantic silos. Acres and acres of open country dotted with fences and homes and barns. Some of the buildings are built from stone. Absolutely gorgeous country and here I am traveling at 70 mph with little time to enjoy. The Susquehanna River is crossed in Harrisburg. I debate about stopping early for the night so I can explore some of these farms on the morrow, but it’s too cold. I am eager to get into a warmer climate.

Current art work exhibits:
I have five photographs on display in Goffstown, two drawings and two photographs at Sunapee Lake Massage, two drawings at Z Pharmacy in Newport and photo notecards at Newfound Grocer in Bridgewater.

More photos have been posted to my online sites.

See more of my work at:
On Facebook at Sasha Wolfe Fine Art & Photography



No comments:

Post a Comment