Monday, May 26, 2014

Date:      Sunday, May 25, 2014                                                                                                           Volume: 5           

Greetings, Everyone,
I hope everyone is well and happy. My plans for writing monthly fell by the wayside, but now I have a bit of breathing room and can give an update. March had extra work in coverage for elections and town meetings. In April, we held a small memorial service for my mother. It was time after two years. I couldn’t, emotionally, do it before.

The story behind how that came about was interesting. Both Ma and her twin, Margaret, when nearing their perspective ends talked a lot of a favorite childhood place and both expressed desire to “go home to Salisbury where they grew up.” I’d been holding onto their ashes and those of my cat, Freyja, figuring that when I found a “forever home,” one in which I planned to stay until my end, I would put the ashes in the garden there to keep them with me. One day near the end of February, as I was heading off to deliver some art work for a showing, it was like I was hit in the head with a board. “They” demanded to go “home.”

Where did that come from? Here I was, off to do something exciting and the tears started flowing. I realized I was being selfish hanging onto them. This house where I live was never “home” to them and when I finally move to my last home, that would definitely not be home them. What right did I have to keep them from moving on? It was time to let them go. I also knew that Freyja would want to go with them.

I contacted family and it was arranged and on the day after what would have been Ma and Mags’ 85th birthday, I (we) let them go. It was a beautiful day after a long cold winter. We couldn’t have asked for one better. The sky was a brilliant blue and the sun was shining although the wind was sharp and chilly. Eric did an awesome job on the ceremony. Another funny thing… right after we finished the ceremony, the wind lessened and it got noticeable warmer. We spent a few moments watching two seals frolicking in the river.

They were home.

The month of May was extremely busy as I worked on the InterTown Record’s Summer Guide, a free insert provided every year. For three weeks, I was making phone calls, checking websites, and updating information. I took two trips to Ruggles Mine in Grafton to do interviews and get photos. There was also my book to finish.

Enjoy and Thank-YOU!

Theme: Making Decisions and Moving Forward

Every so often it’s important to sit and reflect on life, to acknowledge where you’ve been, take note of where you are, and consider the future. I often struggle with decisions and the downside of living alone is not having anyone at hand to share ideas and get feedback. I recognize that quick decisions are often not wise choices. Things have to stew awhile and options considered.

One of the topics on the burner for awhile was about staying here. The decision has finally been made to sell the house. This is a wonderful house and a beautiful piece of property with small greenhouse on the side and many flower gardens. I gave the gardening a go and it’s just not me. This yard is too much for me to handle.

 I’m going to look for a condo and would still like to stay west of Concord. This is creating the big dilemma about downsizing. I am quite overwhelmed and another decision is to hire someone to clean everything out. I just cannot do it. My mind turns to mush.

News:

The end of April I signed a contract with AuthorHouse to publish my book, “Too Cold for Alligators.” That was another big decision and changed how I was previously working. I had just finished changing all the photos to grayscale because printing in color would be too expensive. AuthorHouse wants the photos in color for the e-books although the printed versions will be black and white. They will grayscale the photos for the on-demand printing. That meant I had to re-edit them again. The agreement only allowed for 50 photos. I had 95 which meant I had to delete 45.

In between my freelance work with the newspaper, I’ve been slowly working on it. All my chapters were individual documents which meant I had to put them all into one huge document with page breaks between chapters. I also had to type in insert photo or map in the places where I want the images placed. I had to make sure everything lined up correctly. Yesterday, I finally got the manuscript finished and ready to submit.


The next step is filling out the online Submission Information Form which is numerous pages. This needs to be done before I can send the manuscript and image files. So, there’s still more work.

Book Excerpt
From Day 13, February 2, Cypress Gardens, S.C.

     It nears time for my boat ride and I head back towards the dock. I am Margie’s only passenger. The boat is flat bottomed and sits low in the water. For me, it’s quite a step down from the platform and takes a couple seconds to maneuver the walking stick to help me balance and lower myself into the boat. The seat is only a couple inches from the floor.


My knees immediately begin to ache as I stretch them out in front of me. I haven’t sat on anything this low in a long time.      Margie takes a seat behind me and pushes away from the dock. We move across the water without a sound as she dips her paddle in the black water. There are many trees throughout the swamp and she carefully maneuvers the boat around them, through pond lily fields, and past tall clumps of saw grass. The cypress trees grow gray and tall out of the black mirrored water. I am intrigued by the clumps of vegetation growing out of the base at the water’s surface. I ask if the waters are still like this all the time and she replies unless it’s real windy. She explains that the needles from the cypress have a high content of tannin and the tannin turns the mud black. The waters are actually very clear. She says that a good part of this land was drained, dug deeper and refilled. The cypresses were planted by the owner.
      I get mixed up on the actual time line. A lot of the land here was chartered in the late 1600s and most of the plantations built in the 1700s and then there was the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War, the Great Earthquake, and lots of hurricanes. In 1989, Hurricane Hugo whipped through and did so much damage that Cypress Gardens didn’t re-open until 1993.
     It is so peaceful out in the swamp. The boat quietly glides around the trees. The black mirrored surface of the water makes for wonderful reflections and I am fascinated by them.


Current art work exhibits:
I have five pictures on display in Goffstown, two drawings and two photographs at Sunapee Lake Massage, drawings and photos on display at Tall Pines Realty in Bradford, two drawings at Z Pharmacy in Newport and photo notecards at Newfound Grocer in Bridgewater and Ruggles Mine, Grafton.

More photos have been posted to my online sites.

Upcoming shows:
There will be photos and drawings on display at the Claremont River Savings Bank during June and July. Saturday, July 5, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. at the Bradford Town Hall
Saturday, August 2, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. at Goffstown Main Street
August 9 and 10, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. at the Gallery at Wellsweep, Center Road, Hillsborough Center

See more of my work at:
On Facebook at Sasha Wolfe Fine Art & Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment